Sunday, June 7, 2009

4 Tour Memories - Sunrise FL

Robert Smith Kicks Ass!Before I write about the show, I need to give you a little background on how this show is tied in with my Kick Ass teeshirts. I first did the design of Robert from South Park in late 2001, after searching in vain for a "Robert South Park" teeshirt to buy. Then I discovered a place which would print my designs on teeshirts, and thought to myself "Why not make your own?" So the first generation of Cure / South Park shirts were born. Originally, it was just Robert, and then my (then) new friend Fuji asked me in early 2002 to make him a Simon one. I made several generation of the shirts, eventually adding the guitar and putting him in all black. At some point, the company that was printing them decided it was no longer prudent to do so, and the idea withered on the vine for a few years.


Sometime in early 2008, I revisited the design, adding Porl and Jason and putting them all together into what we know of as the Kick Ass design that you have seen on my site. The way that this ties into the Sunrise show is that I wanted to give the Cure some of the Kick Ass teeshirts, so I finally made a bunch and brought them with me to the FL show, and gave them to the Cure, which you can see here.

CoF Kittens (Peace)
You can also see Ms. Cat there in the background, as Sunrise was the first of many shows that we would see together!

The Sunrise, FL show was notable for the hordes of tanned Floridians looking as if they'd just strolled in from the beach to the concert venue, but again, I digress!

We had really great seats in the 6th row, but were prevented from taping the show by some overzealous security folks, so we did not come back with a great amount of video. Again, we got some really nice rarities and since Robert was feeling much much better as compared to the Red Rocks and SLC shows, the energy level in the venue was very high and Robert and the band seemed very playful and affectionate. My most memorable songs were The Baby Screams and Signal to Noise.

We got four encores at Sunrise, but of course by far, what grabbed our attention was the very last few minutes of the show as "A Forest" wound down and Robert added some extra lyrics. I was half-convinced we would end up with "Forever", but instead the band decided to wind things up with a kiss!


0 comments: