Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ode to the Troubadour

The Cure's Myspace Secret Show at the Troubadour on Saturday, Dec. 13th, 2008 is a day that will live forever for those of us lucky enough to be there! I personally consider it to be one of my Cure miracles, of which there were many in 2008, but this show shares the top miracle slot only with my experience of meeting the Cure in person for the first time.

Looking back, it's hard to believe that a year has passed since this fateful weekend. As so many of our lives have entwined with this show, I have created this blog post as a way to collect everything that I could find or think of to post about it, so that we can keep all of this info in one place. If I'm missing anything, please let me know and I'll be happy to add it here.

I also want to say again that I am eternally grateful to the wonderful Cure fans that I met there in Los Angeles and for those of you from the CoF boards that I had the opportunity to meet before that weekend. You all are the reason that this will be my number one show ever, from the support that we offered each other to the memories we shared, I will cherish all of you as my Cure family. The only thing that could make experiencing a gig like this even better is the knowledge that you have good friends to talk about it with for the rest of your lives.

Without further ado, here is my little digital shrine to the Troubadour show.


Myspace Secret Show @ the Troubadour

Audio Downloads

BC recording in 24 bit or 16 bit

My blog posts about the show



Other blogs / posts about the show

Comingsoon.net (forum post, pics) / Coachella (forum post, lots of pics)

CoF Live Show Commentary

Articles about the show


Articles about the Live Album Release


Video



Youtube accounts with Troubadour Videos



Photos

My pics - Troubadour / Curemas Weekend (all)
MySpace Secret Shows / Day 19 / Getty Images / COF
KelBel / Myspace Secret Shows on Flickr / Shesaidboom
marcusdarling (crowd photos only) /phot0matt (wristbands)
glyphic / Traci

The Troubadour

It goes without saying that this legendary club would be the perfect setting for this secret show. It seems that are pretty proud of this event as well, and have updated their History page on their website to include The Cure's set.

For those who are reading this who are unaware of the history of the Troubadour, this small unassuming club in West Hollywood, California has been around since 1957 and has helped to launch some of modern music's biggest, most influential and best-known acts. Read that history page linked above for the whole scoop.

CoF Peeps who went to the Troubadour show
(I'm sorry if I forgot anyone, I don't know every CoF peep,
so please let me know if I missed your name and I'll be glad to add you in here!)


Rev. / Sean / Sugargirl / CrowbiWan / AutumnJade / Andythecurefan
Clockwise Cat / curejunkie / Sara B / Brandon / Steph / Debi / JeffLove
Laura / ThatCrazyCureGirl / Xyla / Maggie

Celebrities at the show

Kirsten Dunst / Gerard Way / Trey Parker "Disintegration is the best album ever!"
Leonardo DiCaprio / Ryan Gosling / Davey Havok (spotted, no photos found)

Paparazzi / Photographers

Day 19 / Frank Micelotta


The Concert Poster


Series of 450 (I have #278) - 3 color on 100# Natural paper
Created by Vahalla Studios - http://www.vahallastudios.com/

Looks like you can buy one at their site too! The poster artist has told me that the posters that they have for sale on their are the artist proofs that they received from Myspace. They are part of the same series as the ones given away at the show, but they are labeled with "AP" instead of being numbered as part of the 450. They were printed during the same run as the ones given out.

12:08 Dream Teeshirts


















Available at the Troubadour event as well as at the KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas show the next day, 12/14. You can see more detailed photos of the shirts in my Flickr set here.

Event Staff Teeshirts


(Photo courtesy of and thanks to Kelly R. Photography)

Teeshirts with the poster lightbulb on the front and "12:13 Dream, an evening with The Cure" printed on the back were given to the staff at the event as well as to a very FEW LUCKY fans! It has been reported through the grapevine that only about 50 of these teeshirts were printed. If anyone has one of these they would like to sell, please contact me as I am an avid teeshirt collector! :D

The Swag Bag


















Given away after the concert, these bags mostly contained promotional items for the Toyota Matrix, one of the show's sponsors, a magazine and CD from Filter and a new copy of The Cure's 4:13 Dream CD which had a small hole drilled in one corner to disable retail selling of the CD. You can see more detailed photos of the swag bag contents in my Flickr set here.


The Wristband


A beautiful sparkly metallic glitter red with The Cure and Myspace logos printed on it in white. Word of mouth reports estimated between 130-150 wristbands given out, the exact number is not confirmed. Once we received the wristband, we were told to scatter and not come back until 7 pm or our wristband would be cut off (said menacingly by a large man bearing scissors).



2 comments:

Mr. Pinkeyes® said...

excellent post!! thanks for sharing! cheers! :D

christl d. said...

great anniversary post Rev - i am so glad that many of my cure friends were able to have such a once in a lifetime experience.

it really was more than just a show that night