Thursday, March 17, 2011

Tim Burton & the Nightmare Before Curemas

True confession time: I have NO IDEA why I didn't blog the heck out of this when it happened. I'll blame it on the migraines. Or the summer heat (back in June 2010, which was like, NINE months ago). Whatever. In fact it only occurred to me to put it down tonight! I supposed it had to gestate or something.

So, you all know and love the story of the Nightmare Before Curemas shirt, right? How I made the design and then miraculously ended up being able to give them to the band, and then getting an awesome signed one in return? (Thank you forever and ever KU!) No? If you missed out you can read about it here.

Did you know that Tim Burton has ALSO seen and signed a Nightmare Before Curemas shirt? True story. But, alas, it didn't happen to me, it happened to Fuji! One fine day late last June, I got a little notice on my phone that I had been tagged in a photo.

THIS Photo, to be specific:

The photo of course is Fuji's Nightmare Before Curemas teeshirt (taken while he was wearing it), with Mr. Burton's signature right smack there in the middle. You see, Fuji, being an Australian and living in Melbourne, "the best city in the world" was able to go to the grand opening of Tim Burton's exhibit which was at that the ACMI in Melbourne. At one point, there was a red carpet of sorts, and the fans (including Fuji, of course), were lined up along the sides. When Tim Burton walked by, he happened to notice Fuji standing there, and walked over to him and said "That's a cool shirt!" to which Fuji could only reply "God Bless Robert Smith".


A few days after this post, a video of the moment surfaced (it's right at the beginning here) where you can actually HEAR Tim Burton and Fuji both, and you can see Tim walk over to the side line where he signs Fuji's chest. A big moment for me, but obviously, a  much much bigger moment for Fuji since he was the one getting the very up close and personal autograph. 


I still get more than a little giddy when I think about the fact that BOTH of the amazing godlike geniuses that were together at the NME awards show have seen and signed a Nightmare Before Curemas shirt.



Robert Smith accepts the NME Godlike Genius Award from Tim Burton in Feb. 2009. 
(Tim is all the way to the right of the frame) 

The best part about this story is that this was the SECOND time that Fuji had gotten an autograph on his chest while wearing a teeshirt that I made! The first time was in April of 2009, when he met Simon Gallup in Las Vegas and got his signature on the "Simon Gallup Kicks Ass" South Park style shirt. Both photos were also taken by Brad, so I am guessing that this is the magic combination for Fuji to meet celebrities. 

( Simon Gallup and Fuji. Teeshirt by me. Photo by Brad)

Thanks again Fuji, for sharing some of the blessed life that you lead, and for being a standout guy wherever you go. Happy Birthday again! 

0 comments: